By World War II, Aspen’s Victorian era school buildings were in declining condition. This circumstance, along with the economic revival that was about to begin, required the construction of new public education buildings in the 40s, 50s and 60s. In 1941, a red brick school building, designed by architect J. Lewis Ford of Grand Junction, went up at 110 E. Hallam Street. It was expanded at least four times to accommodate growing numbers of students, including a 1953 gymnasium addition by Aspen architect Sam Caudill.
When the last of the Aspen School District classrooms relocated to the Maroon Creek Road campus in the early 1990s, the City purchased the property and reconfigured it as the Red Brick Arts Center.
The property is under consideration for landmark designation. For a more detailed history of the site, click below.