In 1956, when Ohio-born Bob Sterling arrived in Aspen after dropping out of the University of Colorado to ski bum for a while, Benedict, Bayer, Caudill, Roy, and Walls were the architects in town who had studios. Between 1956 and 1960, he worked as a drafter for Rob Roy, and then for Jack Walls before returning to school. He graduated with a BFA (1962) and B. Arch (1963) from Utah. Returning to Aspen, he worked three years with Benedict, who was then designing the Mountain Plaza, the Gant, and Snowmass lodges. In 1965, Sterling and a fellow Benedict employee, Bob Dagg, designed and developed a condo project, the Villager Townhouses (1001 E. Cooper). He and partner Walls (1968-1975) designed the Conoco station (435 E. Main Street, 1970), and Courthouse Plaza Building, among other buildings. As a single practitioner, he designed numerous residences and the original layout for the Roaring Fork Club in Basalt. Currently Sterling lives in Glenwood Springs and is involved with disaster housing in Kenya and Haiti.