Born in Oklahoma and educated at the University of Oklahoma (B. Arch ’53), Jack Walls’ schooling would have overlapped with Bruce Goff’s tenure as chair of Oklahoma’s architecture school (1947-1955). After working briefly in Oklahoma City, he moved to Aspen because he liked the town and felt it sympathetic to his organic approach to architecture. He learned to ski after moving there. In 1957, only three architects were listed in the Aspen directory—Roy, Caudill, and Walls. Walls had a single practice from 1957 until 1968, when he became partners with Robert Sterling, a colleague in Benedict’s office who had also worked as a drafter for him in the late 1950s. In 1958, Walls designed Buttermilk’s dramatic glass and plywood base lodge. In 1970, Walls & Sterling (partners, 1968-1975) designed Aspen’s first modernist gas station (435 E. Main Street), among other buildings. After leaving Aspen, Walls and his wife traveled and served in the Peace Corps in Honduras. He currently resides in Durango.